The Doors guitarist Robby Krieger leads a jam session to kick off the holiday season with a bang
Venice rock ’n’ roll legend Robby Krieger lit a fire under an enthusiastic throng of holiday revelers during Friday’s 5th annual Venice Holiday Sign Lighting.
The Doors guitarist celebrated the band’s Venice roots by helping L.A. City Councilman Mike Bonin and the Venice Chamber of Commerce light the iconic Venice sign at Windward and Pacific avenues in seasonal red and green.
Performances by venerated Lennon-family band Venice, roots rockers Urban Grass, guitar slinger Christopher Hawley and community activist Mike Newhouse preceded the surprise visit by Krieger, who after flipping the ceremonial light switch led them all in an impromptu jam of “Roadhouse Blues.”
Let it roll, baby, roll.
1. The Doors guitarist Robby Krieger (second from left) leads the band Venice, Urban Grass and Mike Newhouse in a rollicking version of “Roadhouse Blues.”
2. Santa pays a visit to thank donors who gave to the annual Muscle Beach Toy Drive.
3. L.A. City Councilman Mike Bonin officially proclaims Venice’s appreciation for Robby Krieger, who helped shape the community’s musical and cultural identity.
4. Venice surf-and-skate icon Jeff Ho, founder of Zephyr Productions and godfather of the Z-boys, wears the crown during in impromptu visit to the Venice Paparazzi photobooth.
5. Kids enjoy Christmas crafts at one of many activity and vendor booths along Windward Avenue
6. It doesn’t get any more local than the band that calls itself Venice, aka rockers Michael and Mark Lennon and cousins Kipp and Pat Lennon.