Seven employees of a Westchester airline catering company near Los Angeles International Airport were treated at local hospitals for minor respiratory irritation and shortness of breath following an apparent chemical spill at the building Thursday afternoon, October 16th, fire officials said.

Three Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) companies, five LAFD rescue ambulances and one hazardous materials team were called at 1:04 p.m. to Hacor Incorporated, 8506 S. Osage Ave., north of Manchester Avenue in Westchester, where a chemical spill was reported, said d’Lisa Davies, LAFD spokeswoman.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, they saw occupants of the food manufacturing facility evacuating from the building. After firefighters gathered information, they requested additional resources.

Firefighters used a breathing apparatus and full protective equipment for safety precautions and entered the building to assess the situation. They took air samples from the building, as well as pH samples around the drains in the enclosed building, Davies said.

Seven Hacor employees were treated at local hospitals, while one other employee who also complained of minor respiratory irritation declined treatment, she said.

The incident was apparently caused after a plumber cleared a drain using a 93-percent solution of sulfuric acid, creating noxious fumes, Davies said. The building was thoroughly ventilated following the incident and the employees were allowed to re-enter the building at about 2:25 p.m.

Share