The Ninth Annual Carnevale! Venice Beach, scheduled June 4, has been canceled due to funding troubles, according to Esquire Jauchem, one of its producers.

Jauchem said that the festival has been performed on city streets in the past, but it has recently faced increased costs that local groups like his have not previously faced over the past eight years as a result of the city of Los Angeles’ budget crisis.

He added that for months, he and the other event producers, Miriam Moore and Brady Walker, have tried to negotiate for city parking lots that are used constantly for movie filming, but the lots are not available to them.

The county of Los Angeles was also contacted regarding permission to use the beach, where movies are permitted to film, but that request was also denied, Jauchem says. He said the Venice Boardwalk, which is controlled by the city Department of Recreation and Parks, closes at 7 p.m. and Carnevale has always had a pyrotechnic display that usually ends at 10 p.m.

“Those rules could not be changed and all types of fees have been increased as well,” he said.

At the suggestion of a merchant on Windward Avenue, Jauchem said that on May 1, the producers explored using a small private parking lot on that street to hold a “very scaled-down event,” but on May 10 they discovered that the anticipated local financing to underwrite it was not materializing from the merchants. Subsequently, there wasn’t enough time to raise more funds and reorganize the event by June 4, he said.

“This was particularly disturbing since we had filed applications for and received funding from the city of Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs and the Venice Neighborhood Council,” he said.

“In the nine-year history of Carnevale! Venice Beach we have never had to completely cancel the festival. This is a sad day for all of us. It is also sad that the citizens of Venice can’t get permission to use our own beach for a neighborhood party,” he continued.

Share