California State University-Los Angeles has dedicated a campus courtyard in honor of Playa del Rey resident Lloyd N. Ferguson, the university’s emeritus professor of chemistry.
The quad located in between La Kretz Hall and Wing B of the Wallis Annenberg Integrated Sciences Complex on the Cal State L.A. campus was officially named “Ferguson Courtyard” Feb. 18 in recognition of Ferguson’s campus accomplishments and his national and international scientific contributions.
Ferguson, who taught in Cal State L.A.’s Chemistry and Biochemistry Department for 21 years, served as director of the college’s Minority Biomedical Research Support program from its inception in 1973 through 1984. The program provides support for research participation and career enhancement of students, with the expectation that participants will pursue a Ph.D. following graduation from Cal State L.A.
Ferguson previously was the recipient of Cal State L.A.’s 1973-74 Outstanding Professor Award and the 1980-81 CSU Trustees’ Outstanding Professor Award.
He earned a bachelor’s degree in chemistry in 1940, and by 1943, had become the first African American to earn a Ph.D. in chemistry at the University of California-Berkeley.
An author of more than 50 journal articles and seven chemistry textbooks, Ferguson was a National Science Foundation fellow at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology; and he served as chairman of the American Chemical Society’s Division of Chemical Education and on the National Cancer Institute’s chemotherapy advisory committee. Before arriving at Cal State L.A., he taught at Howard University for 20 years.
Established in 1995 in honor of Ferguson, Cal State L.A.’s Lloyd N. Ferguson Distinguished Lecture Series brings leading scientists to the campus annually. Each year a scholarship bearing his name is also presented to a select freshman majoring in chemistry or biochemistry.