A 31-year-old Santa Monica man has been arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl whom he met through a mobile application, police said.

The Santa Monica Police Department began investigating allegations last month that a man sexually assaulted a teenage girl, Sgt. Richard Lewis said. During the ongoing investigation, police identified the suspect as Brian Anthony Marks.

Police determined that Marks allegedly developed an ongoing sexual relationship with the victim after meeting her on a mobile texting application in September, Lewis said. The application, which is similar to an online chat room, is commonly used on mobile devices and smart phones.

Investigators from the Santa Monica Police Department’s Youth and Family Services Unit served a search warrant Jan. 3 at Marks’ Santa Monica home, where he was arrested.

The suspect was booked at the Santa Monica Jail for lewd and lascivious acts with a child and unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, Lewis said. Bail was set at $500,000.

Police are asking anyone who believes they may have been a victim of Marks to contact Det. Leslie Trapnell at (310) 458-2256, Sgt. Renaldi Thruston at (310) 458-8414 or the Santa Monica Police Department (24 hours) at (310) 458-8495.

Share