A 33-year-old man who was standing on the Santa Monica Freeway (I-10) was killed shortly before midnight New Year’s Eve when he was struck by a passing vehicle, according to Los Angeles County coroner staff.

Marcos A. Paz was standing in the third lane of the eastbound side of the freeway near the 20th Street off-ramp in Santa Monica, when he was hit Friday, December 31st, the coroner’s staff said.

Paz died at 11:55 p.m. after sustaining multiple traumatic injuries from the collision, the coroner’s staff said.

According to the coroner’s report, Paz had been standing on the freeway since about 11:30 p.m. and was “waving his arms at passing traffic” before he was struck by a Toyota Tundra.

The California Highway Patrol responded to the scene. It is unknown why Paz was standing on the freeway at the time of the incident.

The driver of the Toyota Tundra that struck him reportedly saw Paz on the freeway and attempted to avoid hitting him, according to the coroner’s report.

Share