A 39-year-old Mexican national has been charged in connection with the attempted murder of a 19-year-old man near a Santa Monica bus stop last year, police said.
The incident occurred at about 6:20 p.m. Aug. 13 near Fourth Street and Santa Monica Boulevard. The victim had just left a local restaurant with his girlfriend and was walking towards Fourth Street, when a suspect randomly attacked the victim and allegedly stabbed him multiple times, Sgt. Richard Lewis said.
The victim was treated at a local hospital for moderate injuries and the suspect fled the crime scene, Lewis said.
Police said that DNA evidence left at the crime scene identified the suspect as Francisco Leon-Urbalexo from Sonora, Mexico.
Shortly after the incident, Leon-Urbalexo travelled to Yuma, Arizona, where he was detained and later arrested by authorities for illegal entry into the United States, Lewis said. Leon-Urbalexo is currently in the custody of the United States Marshall, serving a 10 month sentence, Lewis said.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office has charged Leon-Urbalexo with attempted murder, committing a hate crime and assault with a deadly weapon, police said. He will be extradited to Santa Monica to be arraigned on the charges after he completes his sentence with the U.S. Marshall, Lewis said.
Anyone with additional information is asked to contact Det. Chad Goodwin at (310) 458-8942, Sgt. Ira Rutan at (310) 458-8959 or the Santa Monica Police Department (24 hours) at (310) 458-8495.

Share