A 29-year-old man suffered smoke inhalation when a fire caused $200,000 in damage to a three-story apartment complex in Marina del Rey Friday, February 17th, Los Angeles County fire officials said.

The man was taken to a local hospital for treatment and released. No other injuries were reported.

Approximately 125 firefighters from the Los Angeles county and city fire departments were called at 10:03 a.m. to the Mariners Village complex, at 13920 Northwest Passage in the Marina, and initially saw smoke coming from the building, said Art Marrujo, county fire department dispatch supervisor.

Arson investigators were also called to the scene.

California Highway Patrol (CHP) officers closed the area to traffic at Via Marina and Tahiti Way.

“Firefighters used an aggressive interior attack upon arrival,” Marrujo said.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to three apartment units, but a county fire inspector reported that as many as nine units may have been damaged in the fire, he said.

The fire was extinguished at 10:36 a.m., but some firefighters remained on scene until 4:45 p.m.

Fire officials said that the fire might have started from a wall heater in one of the units, where combustible materials were apparently “too close to the electric heater,” Marrujo alleged.

The cause of the fire appears to have been accidental, county fire officials said.

Share