Daybreak Designs, a program of OPCC in Santa Monica, hosted its annual End of Summer Art Sale Sept. 7-8 featuring artworks and crafts by formerly homeless women.

Among the items sold were handmade jewelry, greeting cards, quilts, crocheted items, pottery and art pieces.

Daybreak Designs is a member-run arts and crafts business which began operation in 1999. The program is under the auspices of the OPCC social service organization.

Daybreak Designs aims to empower women recovering from homelessness and mental illness to rebuild their lives through creative, personal and financial growth, an OPCC spokesperson said. Women of Daybreak retain 70 percent of revenue from items sold, and the remaining 30 percent is reinvested in the business.

According to OPCC, the Daybreak project is the only program on the Westside of Los Angeles that is especially designed to help mentally ill homeless women end their homelessness.

The women involved in the program are able to receive a stable living environment as well as direct access to a full range of services, the spokesperson noted.

The program includes a day center, interim housing with 30 beds, and a day program for guests and graduates, in addition to the arts and crafts business.

Daybreak Designs hosts five sales annually. In addition, the Daybreak Design store at the OPCC Cloverfield Services Center is open to the public on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Information, (310) 450-0650.

Share