A 36-year-old Chino man has been charged with attempted murder and other crimes in connection with the assault of a female jogger on a Santa Monica beach earlier this month.
The county District Attorney’s Office charged Brandon Cross Oct. 19 with one count of attempted murder, two counts of forcible rape, one count of sexual penetration by a foreign object, one count of assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury and resisting officers, Santa Monica police Sgt. Richard Lewis said.
The incident occurred at about 4:50 a.m. Oct. 10, when a woman reported that she was running near a lifeguard tower in the 800 block of the beach, where a man ran toward her and tackled her to the sand, police said.
The woman was able to fight off the suspect and run away after he allegedly physically and sexually assaulted her, Lewis said.
A composite drawing of the suspect was completed and an exhaustive search began.
Santa Monica harbor/pier officers, who were patrolling the north beach area near where the attack occurred, saw a man matching the suspect’s description at 5:30 a.m. Oct. 17 and detained him, Lewis said.
After additional investigation, the suspect was arrested in connection with the Oct. 10 incident.
Bail for Cross was set at $1.35 million and he is scheduled to appear at a preliminary hearing Nov. 12 at the Superior Court Airport Courthouse.
The investigation is ongoing and the Santa Monica Police Department is asking anyone who believes they may have been a victim of Cross to contact Det. Phillip DeRyck at (310) 458-8944, Sgt. Darrick Jacob at (310) 458-8460 or the Santa Monica Police Department (24 hours) at (310) 458-8495.

Share