The County Board of Supervisors Tuesday voted to approve an agreement made between the county, the City of El Segundo and other plaintiffs regarding settling a lawsuit against the City of Los Angeles regarding a Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) master plan proposal.

The plaintiffs had earlier agreed to “an agreement to agree” in the future and Tuesday’s action by the county supervisors essentially was to “sign off” on that tentative agreement.

“The city (of Los Angeles) has agreed to cap growth at LAX and abandon certain projects” proposed in the LAX master plan, said David Sommers, spokesman for Supervisor Don Knabe.

“All of the plaintiffs will now go back to the judge” and seek the judge’s approval for the plaintiffs’ settlement of these issues involved in the lawsuit against LAX, Sommers said.

Although the LAX master plan proposal and its controversial Alternative D were proposed by former Los Angeles mayor James Hahn, present mayor Antonio Villaraigosa had opposed certain projects proposed in the LAX plan when Villaraigosa was a candidate for mayor against Hahn and later after Villaraigosa was elected.

Villaraigosa served as a catalyst in trying to bring together the various parties opposing the Hahn LAX plan.

Airport officials said the tentative agreement among the plaintiffs allowed the airport to proceed with plans to move the airport’s south runway 55 feet south.

LAX officials said the runway needed to be moved to improve safety at the airport.

Share