arrested after July 12 assault at restaurant
One adult man and four male juveniles have been arrested for allegedly assaulting a 19-year-old Santa Monica man at a Santa Monica fast-food restaurant Wednesday, July 12th, police said.
Santa Monica police were called to the area of Lincoln Boulevard and Michigan Avenue at 4:26 p.m. July 12th, where a fight had been reported.
When officers arrived, they spoke to a 19-year-old Santa Monica man who said that he was at a local fast-food restaurant when he was approached by a group of suspects.
Apparently, one of the suspects said something to the man and then all of the suspects began to punch him, police alleged.
The man ran away, but while he was being chased by the suspects, one of the suspects allegedly pointed a handgun at him, police said. Police were notified and the suspects fled.
The incident appears to be gang related, police said.
Officers assigned to the Pico Neighborhood Task Force were later called at 5:04 p.m. to the 2600 block of Pico Boulevard regarding a report of a fight.
When officers arrived they detained several people. During the investigation, two of those detained were alleged to be suspects in the earlier assault with a deadly weapon at Lincoln and Michigan and were arrested, police said.
The two suspects are identified as 18-year-old Benjamin Andres Moreno of Bellflower, and a 17-year-old male juvenile, police said.
Moreno was booked for attempted murder, participation in a criminal street gang, a hate crime and additional charges. The juvenile was booked at a local juvenile detention facility for participation in a criminal street gang and battery.
Then, at 5:50 p.m., officers assigned to the Pico Neighborhood Task Force saw two more suspects in the 2400 block of Pico Boulevard who were also allegedly involved in the earlier assault with a deadly weapon, police said.
A field “show-up” (the live presentation of a criminal suspect to a victim or witness of a crime) was conducted and the two suspects were positively identified and arrested, police said. Both suspects, ages 16 and 17, are juveniles and were taken to a local juvenile detention facility.
They were booked for attempted murder, criminal threats, participation in a street criminal gang and additional related charges.
At about 12:10 p.m. Thursday, July 13th, Santa Monica police officers saw another suspect at Lincoln Boulevard and Pine Street.
The suspect was arrested for his alleged involvement in the assault with a deadly weapon from the previous day at Lincoln and Michigan, police said.
The suspect is identified as a 16-year-old male and was taken to a local juvenile detention facility, where he was booked for attempted murder, criminal threats, participation in a street criminal gang and additional related charges, police said.
Anyone with additional information is asked to call the Santa Monica Police Department Robbery/Homicide Unit at (310) 458-8451.
Those who wish to remain anonymous may call the We-Tip national hotline at (800) 782-7463. (800-78-CRIME).