The LAX Coastal Area Chamber of Commerce will recognize the outstanding contributions of teachers from local schools during the 26th annual Teacher Eddy Awards Dinner Wednesday, May 13th.
The event, scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. at the Hilton Los Angeles Airport, 5711 W. Century Blvd., in Westchester, will recognize local teachers from the elementary school through the university level for their efforts in educating young people.
This year’s awards event is sponsored by the Hilton Los Angeles Airport, Playa Vista, and the Hannon Foundation.
“This is our version of the Oscars for our teachers,” said event co-chair Gwen Vuchsas. “Teachers seldom get the recognition they deserve, but we want them to know how special they are.”
This year’s honorees from each school are:
– Cowan Elementary: Barbara Freia;
– Kentwood Elementary: Lisa Kravetz;
-Loyola Village Elementary: Leah Rosales, Pat Savage;
– Orville Wright Middle School: Chet Wong, Larry Bergher;
– Otis College of Art and Design: Michael Schrier;
– Paseo del Rey Natural Science Magnet School: Sandy Usui;
– St. Anastasia School: Angela Carter;
– St. Bernard High School: Br. Jim Reiter, Michelle Tooker;
-St. Jerome School: Marianne Dyogi;
-Visitation School: Jessica Cannata;
– Westchester-Emerson Community Adult School-Student Body: Joseph Loizzi;
-Westchester High School: Ruffin Patterson, Jennifer Lisowski;
– Westchester Lutheran Church & School: Jane Engler;
– Westport Heights Elementary: Bonnie Jenkins;
-Westside Neighborhood School: Natalie Vittitoe.
Each teacher will receive a crystal Eddy Award, made possible by a donation from Playa Vista. In addition, teachers and principals will be eligible for a series of prizes at the event.
Seats at the dinner are $48 per person and can be reserved by contacting the chamber. For more information, (310) 645-5151.