The Santa Monica Conservancy presented its 2011 preservation awards to local individuals, organizations and businesses for projects including homes, a church and a commercial building, at its annual meeting Jan. 23
“It is very gratifying to see the efforts of so many giving our architectural heritage new life,” said Carol Lemlein, president of the Board of the Conservancy. “By recognizing these accomplishments, the Santa Monica Conservancy holds up these projects as good examples of how historic preservation can contribute to Santa Monica’s vitality and attractiveness.”
The conservancy’s Restoration Award was presented to Myra and Earl Pomerantz for exemplary restoration of their craftsman bungalow, known as the landmark John and Anna George House, at 2424 Fourth St. The project pioneered a growing appreciation for historic preservation in Ocean Park in the early 1980s, according to the conservancy.
The owner of a historic Edwin Building at 310-312 Wilshire Blvd., American Commercial Equities LLC, received the Rehabilitation Award for preserving and rehabilitating this small-scale commercial building designed by renowned architect Paul Williams in 1928. The building was designated as a city landmark in 2008.
The Renovation Award was presented to Sam Simon, who preserved and renovated Case Study House #20, designed by Richard Neutra in 1948.
Receiving the Adaptive Reuse Award was the Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Santa Monica for converting an adjacent craftsman bungalow into classrooms and a meeting space for its congregation, choosing preservation and adaptive reuse over demolition and new construction.
The Stewardship Award recognized Deborah Levin for her efforts in preserving Hollister Court on Fourth Street, a dozen craftsman bungalows grouped as a courtyard complex and designated as a city landmark.
In addition to the preservation awards, the Santa Monica Conservancy honored seven docents who regularly lead the conservancy’s weekly downtown walking tours on Saturday mornings for Outstanding Volunteer Service. The honorees included: Julie Berger, Winston Chappell, Dorothy Jewel, Kay Pattison, Jerome Robinson, Thomasine Rogas, and Rita Schneir.
“This band of enthusiastic individuals share their knowledge and insights into our architecture and history with visitors, residents, special groups, and anyone willing to explore 135 years of history in just seven blocks,” notes Kay Pattison, coordinator of the walking tour, which has been in operation since the spring of 2007.