A Venice craftsman-style home linked to the community’s founder Abbot Kinney and his friend and personal assistant Irving Tabor has been added to the list of Historic-Cultural Monuments in Los Angeles.
The residence known as the “Kinney-Tabor House,” built in 1906 and currently located at 1310 Sixth Ave. in the Oakwood area of Venice, was approved by the Los Angeles City Council July 9th for inclusion into the list of Historic-Cultural Monuments.
The City Council approval came after the city’s Cultural Heritage Commission found that the home met three of the historic-cultural monument criteria, including that it “embodies the distinguishing characteristics” of craftsman-style architecture.
The commission also found that the home reflects the “broad cultural, economic or social history” of the community, and is “identified with historic personages,” such as Kinney.
The early 20th century home was originally located along the Grand Canal in Venice. It initially served as the “Cosmos Club,” a social club for the beachside community, and briefly as a girls’ grammar school, according to a heritage commission document.
In 1915 Kinney, who founded Venice in 1905, purchased the property and converted it into his home, where he lived until he passed away in 1920. Kinney’s wife, Winifred, continued to live at the home until she died in 1927, at which time it was bequeathed to the Kinneys’ friend and assistant, Tabor.
Tabor, an African American, was impelled by racial covenants at the time to move the home from the Venice Canals to the Oakwood neighborhood, according to the commission document. Tabor reportedly split the house into three sections and moved it to the Oakwood area, where his family lived for more than 60 years before selling the property.
The house stood uninhabited for seven years after the death of a Tabor family member until 2003, when it was purchased by local restoration enthusiasts. Features of the restored home include full-hide leather walls in the main state room, Italian artisan-tiled fireplaces and original craftsman wrought-iron fixtures.
Various members of the Kinney and Tabor families worked together with historians to provide information, articles and photographs for the Historic-Cultural Monument presentation.