The campaigns of Rep. Janice Hahn (D- San Pedro) and Republican Steve Napolitano traded barbs last week after Napolitano accused Hahn of trying to avoid debates in the contest to replace termed-out L.A. County Supervisor Don Knabe.
In a release last week, Napolitano’s campaign said several news outlets have agreed to host at least four debates between the candidates and that he has accepted the invitations while Hahn has not.
“If Janice Hahn is unwilling to make her views known to the residents of this district she should just stay in Congress where she can continue to avoid addressing the issues that matter to the people of the Fourth District … I’m willing and ready, ” reads a statement by Napolitano, currently a senior Knabe deputy.
Christian Kropff, a Hahn campaign spokesman, countered that Hahn has agreed to attend a debate hosted by NBC Channel 4 on a date to be determined and another on Oct. 27 hosted by the Whittier and Santa Fe Springs Chambers of Commerce.
“We have agreed to the debates that the congresswoman’s schedule allows,” Kropff said.
Napolitano, who came in second to Hahn in the June primary, is asking the Los Angeles County Registrar/Recorder to fine Hahn for what he has alleged is $280,000 in illegal campaign donations from a political action committee.
County Clerk Dean Logan has given Hahn an Oct. 10 deadline to respond to the allegation.
Meanwhile, Hahn’s campaign has accused Napolitano of mudslinging.
“We have and will continue to follow the instructions given to us by the county registrar — not a self- serving millionaire who wants to buy a seat on the Board of Supervisors and silence the voices of working families, firefighters, teachers and police officers,” said John Shallman, Hahn’s chief campaign strategist.
— Gary Walker