Bashing Mass Transit is Bad for Kids
Re: “They Beat the Bus,” News, Oct. 20

While I understand the frustrations of residents impacted by changes to Santa Monica Big Blue Bus routes, the photo of adults looking on as children gleefully swing at a Big Blue Bus piñata is insulting and mean.

I am a regular rider of buses and trains including the Big Blue Bus, which is a very well-run and considerate agency. They have a vast network of buses throughout not only Santa Monica but the entire Westside, with expanded service connecting riders to the newly opened Expo Line light rail stations.

I ride transit because I am very concerned about the environment, including air pollution and global warming, which have very adverse effects on us all — particularly children, like the ones in the photo.

When adults indoctrinate children that buses, and therefore mass transit, is bad — that it is to be feared, or worse, attacked — this idea can transfer to those riding buses and transit. The actions in the photo are teaching fear and, with the attacks on a bus, hatred.

Global warming is real and happening now. The easiest and quickest way to combat it is to reduce our output of carbon gases, which for Southern Californians means driving less. Electric cars aren’t presently the solution: they make up less than 5% of the vehicles on the road and contribute to gridlock conditions that make the other 95% of vehicles pollute the most.

The actions depicted in the photo do harm to the movement to reduce carbon gasses and stop global warming. Instead of encouraging children to attack the bus, why can’t the adults make an effort to change their lifestyles and incorporate mass transit into their daily lives?

Matthew Hetz, Westchester

Keep the Endorsements Coming
Re: “The Argonaut’s Election Endorsements: State Assembly, County & L.A. City,” Oct. 20

I am a Playa del Rey resident living near the lagoon. Please make an endorsement in the Water Replenishment District’s Division 2 race. I would like to know how The Argonaut evaluates the candidates.

Pamela Burga, Playa del Rey

Local Drought Policy is on the Ballot, Too
Re: “The Argonaut’s Election Endorsements: State Assembly, County & L.A. City,” Oct. 20

I am writing to request that The Argonaut cover and make recommendations for all ballot measures and candidates on local ballots. Down-ballot measures and candidates often get the short shrift when it comes to covering measures and candidates.

For example, the last vote at the end of the ballot in the Water Replenishment District. This is an important race that can help restore public confidence after the indictment and subsequent exoneration of the incumbent.

Few folks know that the office for the Water Replenishment District is on the ballot. Your paper can help to remind everyone of the importance of this race as we enter our sixth year of drought.

William R. Roberts, Westchester

 Medical Marijuana is Working: No on 64
Re: “The Argonaut’s Election Endorsements: Federal Offices and State Propositions,” Oct. 13

California has a great medical cannabis law under the Compassionate Use Act, approved by voters with 1996’s Prop 215. Now with Prop 64 we have big corporations coming in trying to sell a new law to voters — one that is misleading and designed around maximizing pot profits, as well as jailing the competition.

A patient with a valid doctor’s recommendation has more rights than what would be offered under the false “legalization” of Prop 64, which would limit everyone to a single ounce, enable a corporate GMO takeover of the market, and criminalize 18- to 20-year-old adult consumers. While public consumption is currently allowed, under Prop 64 seriously-ill patients could be ticketed for consuming cannabis in places that allow cigarettes.

Cannabis is a wellness product that is reasonably accessible and affordable in California. The medical cannabis system is working. Vote NO on Prop 64.

Eric Hafner, Playa Vista

Parks Promises Ring Hollow
Re: “A Defining Moment for Public Parks,” News, Oct. 13

What hypocrisy!  With Measure A, L.A. County wants more of our tax money for “projects protecting, developing, enhancing and preserving parks, play areas, beaches, open space lands, natural areas, waterways … encouraging community use.” Yet they have taken Parcel FF — an “underutilized” parking lot at Via Marina and Marquesas Way — and given it over developers in exchange for a small piece of the wetlands.

As a senior who can no longer walk, I will not be able to see the water and the lovely sailboats once the greatly enlarged Bar Harbor, Neptune and proposed hotels are completed. I ask readers of The Argonaut to write the L.A. County Board of Supervisors and let them know we don’t need another hotel in Marina del Rey. We don’t need more years of construction. We don’t need more traffic. What we need is a park.

Lynne Shapiro, Marina del Rey