In response to four shooting incidents in Santa Monica in less than one week, police have increased patrol in the Pico Neighborhood, Santa Monica Police Chief James Butts said.
After two men received non-life-threatening injuries in separate Santa Monica shooting incidents July 3rd and 4th, two more incidents occurred Friday, July 7th, and Sunday, July 9th, police said.
“The cycle of violence that has developed over the last week will not be permitted to continue,” Butts said. “It will be stopped by an overwhelming police presence.
“Effective immediately, the already enhanced patrol in the Pico Neighborhood will again be increased and there will be a more frequent deployment of the police helicopter.
“The individuals involved in these incidents will be brought to justice.”
No one was injured in a shooting incident at 3:07 p.m. Sunday, July 9th, in a rear alley in the 1900 block of Euclid Street, police said.
Preliminary information revealed that the victims were seated in a car when two suspects allegedly drove next to the victims’ vehicle and fired several shots, police said.
The first suspect in the July 9th shooting is described as a Hispanic male, 14 to 16 years old, five-feet-six to five-feet-ten, and having a heavy build and dark hair.
The second suspect is described as a Hispanic male, 14 to 16 years old, five-feet-ten, having a thin build and dark hair, and wearing a black hat with a white T-shirt.
The suspects’ vehicle is described as a late 1980s to early 1990s two-door gray Honda Accord with a black bumper.
In the July 7th incident, a male juvenile was shot in the upper torso at about 8:45 p.m. at Virginia Avenue Park in the 2200 block of Virginia Avenue, police said.
The victim, who does not have any gang affiliation, was taken by private vehicle to a local hospital, where he was treated for his injuries, police said.
The suspect in the July 7th shooting is described as a Hispanic male, 15 years old, five-feet-eight, weighing approximately 180 pounds, and wearing a white baggy T-shirt and shorts, police said.
Police said both the July 7th and July 9th shooting incidents appeared to be gang-related.
A 25-year-old Santa Monica man received non-life-threatening injuries when he was shot at 2:02 p.m. in the 1900 block of 19th Street in Santa Monica Tuesday, July 4th, Santa Monica police said.
The man was treated at a local hospital for non-life-threatening gunshot wounds to his right foot and right elbow, police said.
Police are looking for two suspects in the July 4th shooting incident.
The suspects are described as Hispanic males who were riding in a metallic-blue two-door compact vehicle, police said.
In another shooting incident July 3rd, a 21-year-old man received non-life-threatening injuries when he was shot in the 1500 block of the Santa Monica beach at 12:21 a.m., police said.
Anyone with information regarding these incidents is asked to contact the Santa Monica Police Department Robbery/Homicide Unit at (310) 458-8451 or the watch commander’s office at (310) 458-8426.
Callers who wish to provide anonymous information may also call the We-Tip national hotline at (800) 782-7463. (800-78-CRIME).
Callers with information that leads to an arrest and conviction become eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.