Santa Monica police are seeking the public’s assistance in locating a suspect who allegedly attempted to kidnap a teenage girl earlier this month.
The 17-year-old girl told officers she was walking eastbound in the 2900 block of Pico Boulevard in Santa Monica at 8:42 a.m. Dec. 4, when she was suddenly grabbed by a male suspect who was standing alongside his parked vehicle, Sgt. Richard Lewis said.
The suspect allegedly attempted to force the girl into the vehicle, which had its passenger side door open, and a struggle ensued, Lewis said.
The victim was able to get away and ran into a nearby restaurant for safety and to notify police. She suffered minor injuries in the attack and was treated at a local hospital, Lewis said.
The suspect fled the location, driving southbound on 30th Street at a high rate of speed, police said.
He is described as a Hispanic man in his mid to late 30s, 5-foot-9, with a stocky build, brown hair, a “bushy” handlebar type mustache/goatee, and wearing a black T-shirt, dark blue jeans and black shoes, police said.
The suspect’s vehicle is described as a mid-1990s minivan (possibly a Toyota Previa), faded bluish-green in color, with a sliding passenger side door and rear tinted windows, police said. Two characters of the rear license plate were identified as “Z” and “6.”
Anyone with information regarding this case is asked to contact Det. Chad Goodwin at (310) 458-8942, Sgt. Ira Rutan at (310) 458-8959 or the Santa Monica Police Department (24 hours) at (310) 458-8495.