With the resignations of Chris Harding and Mike Phillips from the Financial Oversight Committee, the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District board of education is accepting applications to fill the vacancies.
The application deadline is 4 p.m. Friday, July 14th. Parents and community members are invited to apply.
The Financial Oversight Committee was originally formed in answer to the community’s desire for increased communication and understanding of the district’s financial operations and a need to generate additional revenue for the district.
Under the district’s criteria for selections, candidates should:
– have broad perspective;
– have financial and/or management and/or legal expertise/ experience;
– reside or be employed within the geographic boundaries of the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District;
– have knowledge of business process orientation;
– have skills to clearly communicate information resulting from the committee’s work; and
– not be currently serving as an elected official.
The district will make all attempts to have the composition of the committee reflective of the student population, says a spokesman.
The Financial Oversight Committee meets regularly, once a month, in the District Testing Room, 1651 16th St., second floor, Santa Monica.
The appointment timeline is:
– Friday, July 14th, applications are due in the superintendent’s office; and
– Thursday, August 17th, appointment are to be made by the board of education.
Applications may be obtained from the district Web site at www.smmusd.org; click on “I Want to Know About DAC” in the drop-down menu, and access the information for the Financial Oversight Committee.
Copies may be obtained in the Superintendent’s Office at 1651 16th St., Santa Monica.
Information, (310) 450-8338, ext. 241.