Santa Monica police say DNA evidence has led to the arrest of a man who allegedly sexually assaulted a Santa Monica woman in September.

Santa Monica police detectives were contacted by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Monday, July 17th, regarding a sexual assault suspect who had been arrested in Adelanto.

The suspect was wanted by Santa Monica police for an incident on September 1st, when a man entered a private residence near the Santa Monica beach and confronted the woman resident.

The man allegedly assaulted and threatened to kill the woman before forcing her to submit to sexual acts, police said.

The woman, in fear for her life, was allegedly kept captive by the suspect for approximately 30 minutes, police said. The suspect eventually fled and the woman called police.

Detectives from the Santa Monica Police Department responded and began a lengthy investigation.

A composite drawing of the suspect was completed and distributed to other law enforcement agencies. Forensic evidence, including possible suspect DNA, was collected from the scene of the crime.

Recently, the DNA evidence analysis resulted in the identification of a suspect on file in CODIS (Combined DNA Index System).

The suspect, Christopher Troy Malray, 44, has a criminal history and matched the composite and the description provided by the victim, police alleged.

Additional evidence linked Malray to the sexual assault incident and a warrant for his arrest was obtained, police said.

Malray’s last known residence was in San Bernardino County and Santa Monica detectives contacted the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Office for assistance.

Malray was observed near a relative’s home in the San Bernardino community of Adelanto, where he was arrested by San Bernardino sheriff’s deputies without incident, police said.

Santa Monica Police Department detectives served a search warrant at two residences in Adelanto and Hesperia and subsequently brought Malray back to the Santa Monica Police Department.

Malray was booked at the Santa Monica Jail and charged with one count of sexual assault.

His bail has been set at $1 million.