The Santa Monica Chamber of Commerce and the City of Santa Monica honored this year’s Sustainable Quality Award winners at a luncheon Tuesday, May 2nd.
“This was one of the most diverse and highly accomplished groups of applicants we have had,” said Dean Kubani, acting manager of the city’s Environmental Programs Division.
“Our hope is that we can promote a business climate where all businesses achieve the level of commitment to sustainability that these award winners exemplify.”
Kubani said the voluntary activities these businesses have undertaken result in cleaner air and water, less waste, reduced traffic and pollution, improved quality of life for residents and workers, and a viable local economy.
The 2006 Sustainable Quality Award Grand Prize winners are:
– The Ambrose, hotel;
– EDSA, landscape architecture and planning;
– Koning Eizenberg Architecture, architecture and design;
– Patagonia, outdoor clothing;
– RAND Corporation, global think tank; and
– Unurban Coffeehouse, bohemian cafÈ.
Other awards included:
– Waldorf Early Childhood Center, preschool, Excellence in Stewardship of the Environment and Excellence in Sustainable Economic Development;
– California Recycles, electronic waste collector, Excellence in Stewardship of the Environment; and
– Euphoria Loves RAWvolution, market for raw and vegan groceries, Excellence in Stewardship of the Environment.