Two City of Los Angeles Fire Department firefighters suffered minor injuries after battling a fire that allegedly caused $300,000 in structure damage to a vacant commercial building at 3226 Thatcher Ave., in what is known as the Oxford Triangle area adjacent to the Marina, Thursday, October 6th, city fire officials said.

A city firefighter, who had burns to his left arm, was treated at the scene and taken to Sherman Oaks Burn Center, where he was later released, fire department spokesman Ron Myers said.

Another city firefighter suffered from heat exhaustion and was taken to Centinela Freeman Regional Medical Center Marina Campus on Lincoln Boulevard, where he was treated and released.

About 97 firefighters, including 15 city fire department companies, two Los Angeles County Fire Department companies and one Culver City Fire Department company, responded to the structure fire, west of Lincoln Boulevard and north of Marina Pointe Drive.

Three city fire department rescue ambulances and one hazardous materials squad also responded to the fire.

The first fire units were called to the scene at 10:50 p.m. and saw the 150-by-200-foot vacant single-story commercial building — reportedly a former auto shop — “one-quarter fully involved in fire,” Myers said.

“Initially, companies began setting up operations for an interior fire attack,” Myers said.

Some firefighters began an aggressive interior attack as others went to the roof of the building to begin ventilation operations, he said.

Firefighters on the roof cut holes to allow most of the gas and heat to escape from the interior.

But firefighters on the roof became concerned about a potential failure of the lightweight roof construction and evacuated the building along with firefighters inside, Myers said.

After vacating the building, firefighters began defensive operations with “heavy stream” appliances, he said.

Within ten to 15 minutes, the lightweight roof structure began to collapse and subsequently suffered “catastrophic failure,” he said.

The fire was contained after one hour and three minutes and the last fire companies left the scene nearly four hours after the fire was first reported.

The cause is under investigation, Myers said.